Sunday, June 24, 2012

Dustin Wolf Interview



Photo Credit: Hex Linc Photos


Undefeated Strong Style product Dustin Wolf returns to the cage after an injury put him on a temporary hiatus when he faces also undefeated Ryan Evans in the main event of NAAFS Combat Challenge 21 on July 14th. Wolf has been impressive in his first three outings, and getting to train with the top flight talent he gets to train with at Strong Style, we can expect an even better Dustin Wolf this time around.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started in the sport?
A: Well, I wrestled my whole life for Mayfield. I finished wrestling and had always been a fan of MMA. I told my dad about a gym I had heard about in Independence, which was Strong Style. He looked into it and took me down there. I started when I was sixteen and have been there ever since. I went with intentions of just learning MMA, eventually I got a fight, now I have had three and my fourth coming up.

Q: You were dealing with an injury that kept you out, was it hard to take that kind of time off?
A: Yeah, I think it's rough for anybody to be away from the sport. You have your ups and downs, but I think it has made me stronger.

Q: When you did come back, was it in your head at all, make you worried it will happens again/
A: No, I'm not scared or afraid to train in any way.

Q: You are fighting Ryan Evans, do you know anything about him?
A: I know that he is 3-0 like me. I know he hasn't fought in awhile, I haven't fought in awhile. That's about all I know about him. I really don't care, it doesn't matter who they throw against me.

Q: Considering the talent at Strong Style, how big of an advantage does it give you to get to train with them?
A: It gives me a hell of an advantage. I train with the best guys in the country right now. Some of the best guys in the world. To be one of the best guys in a gym doesn't really help you. If you have partners who are pushing you and world class like Forrest Petz and Brian Rogers and Stipe and all these other guys, it really helps a lot. It helps with confidence to. I am confident that when I go in the cage that my opponent won't be anything like the guys I spar with.

Q: In a sense does it make the fight easier than the training?
A: Oh yeah! My training rounds are hell. I feel like the fight is a reward after all my training.

Q: With all the Strong Style fighters doing big things in UFC and Bellator, does it put any pressure on you to be representing that gym?
A: No, I don't feel pressure. I feel like I am honored to fight for Strong Style and have Marcus behind me, but I don't feel pressure.

Q: You have shown you are well-rounded, but do you a have preference if a fight stays standing or goes to the ground?
A: No, I personally don't have a preference. I just look to win the fight. Wherever will win me the fight is where I want to go.

Q: Does being the main event mean anything extra to you?
A: I never thought I would be the main event. It doesn't put any more pressure on me, but I am honored to be the main event and think it's awesome that I am.

Q: Is there a key to winning this fight for you?
A: Just sticking to my game plan, what Marcus, Pablo, Scott and Joe have drawn up for me. I gotta stick to my game plan and I think I will be good.

Q: Do you have a prediction?
A: I predict I will win the fight.

Q: Assuming you win, any idea what you want next or just one fight at a time?
A: Just take it one fight at a time. Whatever Marcus has in mind for me, I know he has my best intentions in mind.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: I want to thank everyone at Strong Style, my family, my coaches, Marcus, Pablo, Scott Neal, Tru Assassin, Intimidation Clothing, John P. Lennon. I want to thank my mom and dad for all the support they have given me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment