Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ashley Hawkins Interview



Photo Credit: Hex Linc Photos


Ashley Hawkins is coming off her most impressive win to date, a victory over Angie Reinhardt. At Combat Challenge 21 she faces the NAAFS top ranked amateur female, Allanna Jones, hoping to take the next step in climbing the ladder. Jones will provide her with her toughest fight to date in what could be a stand-up war.

Q: You are coming off a win against a very tough opponent in Angie Reinhardt. Overall, how satisfied where you with your performance?
A: I was pretty satisfied. Anytime you win it is pretty satisfying. I haven't had a finish yet, but I don't necessarily think of that as a bad thing. I figure instead of finishing quick and not making them suffer, you let them suffer the whole nine minutes of the fight. I was satisfied, I hope to finish someone, but a win is a win.

Q: You were cornered by Pablo Castro and Jessica Eye, how much did having people like them in your corner help?
A: It helped. Just because they know so much and have been doing this forever. Pablo corners all the Strong Style fighters like Stipe (Miocic) in the UFC. So he knows what he is doing, especially with Jiu-Jitsu. Jessica, she is a girl fighter, so she knows what is going through your head, being a girl and wanting to do really good. having them for support was good and motivating.

Q: A lot of girls look up to Jessica so can having her in your corner be intimidating for an opponent?
A: Yeah, I know if I was about to fight a girl and she walked out with Jessica Eye I would be like "uh oh". Jessica is one of the best pro females out there. It is a great feeling knowing she has your back.

Q: You started to get some attention after that win, but do you feel you still get overlooked?
A: Sort of. I don't have a big name and am fighting independent. Also, I am fighting the number one ranked girl for NAAFS, so I want to make a name for myself fighting the number one girl. I win will show people I am better than they have me ranked.

Q: Is there a reason you think you don't get ranked higher or get overlooked?
A: I'm not sure. I haven't been fighting very long so that may be a reason. I have gone to a decision each time, but I have fought some pretty decent girls and they were challenging. My only loss was to Trisha Barr, which a lot of people said could have gone either way or a draw. I stuck with her and held my own in my second fight, and it was her seventh or eighth.

Q: You are fighting Allanna Jones, what do you know about her?
A: I have seen her fight once in January. I have seen videos. She is a stand-up type of brawler. But sometimes, that's not a good judge, but pretty much she is a stand-up fighter from what I have seen.

Q: At first you thought you were fighting Chandra Engel, is Allanna better for you in the sense that she will want to stand with you like you like to do?
A: Yeah definitely. My last couple fights I wanted to keep it standing and it never seems to work that way. I think one of my strong points is my stand-up. Chandra is more of a wrestler so I would have prepared for that, but Allanna is a stand-up girl so I am excited to stand. Allanna isn't someone who will clinch if she gets hit a few times, she will want to stand with me.

Q: Does being the co-main event mean people are starting to pay attention?
A: Yeah I think so. Nichole Long is a girl and knows it is hard for girls to be taken serious. She knows a girl fight is as good as a guy fight. I think she knows that and wants people to see that to.

Q: What is the key to winning this fight?
A: Stick to my game plan. Do what I train and work on. Go my hardest and stay confident. If you think you are gonna lose you will lose.

Q: Do you have a prediction?
A: I definitely think I am gonna win. I have been working with really great people and am it's my time to show everyone I am no joke.

Q: Assuming you win, any idea what you want next, or just taking it one fight at a time?
A: One fight at a time, you cant look forward. I want to win and prove I am good. I wanna fight a tough opponent, someone who will challenge me so I can show how much I have improved.

Q: Allanna is ranked number one in NAAFS, would a win over her put you on track for possibly fighting for a title this year?
A: I would hope so. The rankings only have the top four girls. Considering I am not ranked, if I beat the number one girl, I don't know what happens, but if I beat the number one girl, I would deserve it.

Q: After this you want to fight at 125 correct?
A: Yeah definitely. I was supposed to fight at 125 against Chandra, but you cant always fight at the weight you want.. 125 will be a good move for me. It's just five more pounds. I felt great my last fight at 130 so 125 will be amazing and more great haha.

Q: Anyone you want to thank?
A: I want to thank my sponsors, you Jason Adams and Promoting Real Women, Kody and Foundation Fight Co. , my new sponsors Luke and Intimidation Clothing, everyone that helps me training, especially Jessica Dinch, Jessica Eye, Pablo, everyone at Strong Style, and my friends and family. It helps when everyone supports and believes in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment