Sunday, April 22, 2012

Kevin Rothacker Interview


Kevin Rothacker is known for his Fight of the Night performances. A Kevin Rothacker fight can have one round that is a stand-up war followed by a round displaying great grappling. The Strong Style product returns to the cage on April 27th at NAAFS Caged Fury 17 against Josh Baker. Rothacker is coming off his first pro loss against the undefeated as a pro Baker. With West Virginia fans new to getting to see MMA fights live, there may be no better fighter than Kevin Rothacker to show them how exciting an MMA fight can be.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started with MMA?
A: I started doing Jiu-Jitsu in 1998 and it led to MMA. I was and still am good friends with Pablo Castro and he came to Strong Style as the Jiu-Jitsu coach. He called and said "you gotta come check out this gym". I came over and walked in and said "where do I sign up?" I've always been interested in martial arts and competing and having a place to train helped focus on that and give it direction.

Q: You are coming off a decision loss to Tony Castillo, looking back is there anything you wish you had done different?
A: Yeah, I probably would have taken a week off work and let my body recover a little bit. I felt a little warned out and not myself. But no excuses, I went in and fought and I lost, what are you gonna do?

Q: You are known for having exciting fights, especially the Doug Kulbis and Matt Montalvo fights, is there a part of you that feels you have to live up to that and have exciting fights?
A: You always wanna be exciting for the fans and put on a great show, but at the end of the day its all about winning. That's what matters most to me. I didn't plan on having exciting fights and don't feel I have to live up to it. I am the one doing it and I am the one who has to live with it. I just go in there and try to win.

Q: This fight is against Josh Baker, how do you feel you match up with him?
A: I know he has a Wrestling and Jiu-Jitsu background, so I feel like the match-up should be good. I feel like my stand-up is better. I don't know a ton about him, but I feel confident. We always train hard at Strong Style.

Q: You mentioned stand-up, and I was gonna say I think that's probably your biggest advantage in this fight, would you agree?
A: Yeah absolutely. I feel confident with it. From the little I know about him he's more of a ground game. I have confidence in my ground to, but why go there if I can win it on my feet?

Q: Is there a key for you to winning this fight?
A: Probably just stop the takedowns.

Q: Do you have a prediction?
A: I feel like I am going to be victorious. I think I can win on my feet or win on the ground. You never know, it could go either way.

Q: Any idea what you want next or just focused on this fight?
A: I take it one fight at a time. Right now its all about this next fight. I don't like to get ahead of myself.

Q: You have several teammates fighting for UFC and Bellator, is that the long term goal for you?
A: Yeah, that would be great to get into a bigger organization and move on with my career. That would be a goal I am looking forward to. But I live by the motto "win the fight and everything else will take care of itself".

Q: With them having success in the bigger organizations, has Strong Style proven its an elite top level gym?
A: Absolutely! I think we have some of the best all-around training. Great training in every aspect of the game.

Q: Before we finish, anyone you want to thank?
A: Yeah, Strong Style Mixed Martial Arts, Marcus Marinelli, Pablo Castro, John P. Lennon, Intimidation Clothing, Tru Assassin, and all my teammates, friends, family and fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment