Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Dan Spohn Interview


NAAFS Light Heavyweight champion Dan "The Dragon Spohn comes into his third Bellator fight on April 20th after suffering his first professional loss, a decision to Kelvin Tiller. He will be facing Attila Vegh this time out. While Spohn doesn't make excuses, its fair to say that a hand injury he believes was suffered in round one, may have played a part in the loss. Spohn will definitely have the crowd on his side against the experienced Vegh in what can be expected to be a great match-up.

Q: You are coming off your first pro loss, to Kelvin Tiller. How long did it take to get over your first pro loss?
A: You never fully get over it. It will always drive me to be better than I was. The only way I will ever really get over it is to get a rematch and vindicate it.

Q: You injured your hand in that fight, what happened?
A: I believe it happened in the first round. I connected in a way that I broke it in seven places.

Q: Did that maybe play a part in the outcome?
A: I am not big on excuses, but i feel it played a big part in how the fight went. I wasn't able to use my right hand a lot. I had to get creative and figure out other ways to fight. It played a part in my performance.

Q: Safe to assume you are one hundred percent now?
A: Yeah its definitely back to one hundred percent?

Q: Sometimes people come back from an injury and fight differently out of fear of re-injuring it. Do you worry about that?
A: No, cause even if I had that fear, as soon as I get in there, I loose my common sense and start hitting anyway. So it doesn't bother me.

Q: Coming off the first loss, does it make you feel you have something to prove with this fight?
A: I guess yes and no. This fight is to prove I can hang with the best in the world. At the same time I don't feel I have to prove to much. I know I lost but I feel I can establish myself whether I win or lose.

Q: Last Bellator fight in Ohio, you had a big highlight reel knock-out. Finishes like that one don't happen often, but do you feel it gives you something to shoot for, to exceed that?
A: As far as that goes, I try to always do better, so I hope to perform in a fashion as grand and that gives me a good highlight.

Q: You are fighting Attila Vegh. He has a 23-4-2, what do you know about him?
A: He has a lot fights and experience. He is an aggressive fighter. Most of his fights are in Russia or something. He is a counter striker but aggressive at the same time.

Q: Sometimes people come to the U.S. and it can be a culture shock, can that affect him?
A: Yeah it could. I know for sure it would affect me for the first time going somewhere. If it does it will just go good for me in the fight.

Q: Where do you old the biggest advantage against him?
A: This fight, I am gonna try and dictate the fight as much as I can, but I feel comfortable in all aspects in this fight. I don't feel worried about getting submitted or knocked out or anything like that. Wherever it goes, I'm happy.

Q: Where does he pose the biggest possible threat?
A: I am not too worried about it actually. Whatever he has to bring he can bring.

Q: Whats the key to winning this fight?
A: The only key really is just improve. I have had time to work and get better. The only real key is to go out there and win.

Q: With the crowd support you will have, do you have to remind yourself not to get caught up in the emotion of it?
A: No, usually I am pretty mellow. I am just focused on fighting.

Q: Could that in some way affect him?
A: I don't know. He has experience so probably wont mind the crowd and more concerned with the fight.

Q: Do you have a prediction?
A: My only prediction is coming out with a victory.

Q: You seem to have settled in at Gurgel's. Does it help to have people like Jorge and Zoila and others who have big promotion experience?
A: Oh yeah! It makes you better at handling it yourself. They share their experience and you learn from their mistakes so you don't make mistakes.

Q: Any idea what you want next, maybe the tournament?
A: The ball is in Bellator's court. See what they offer me and talk to my management and go from there.

Q: You still hold the NAAFS tittle, would you like to still defend that?
A: Yeah if at all possible I would love to do that and represent NAAFS.

Q: There are a lot of Ohio fighters getting opportunities lately. Has Ohio proved it is a legitimate top state for MMA?
A: I think so. Ohio has proven its right there at the top. A lot of great fighters coming up.

Q: Anyone you wanna thank?
A: Jorge Gurgel, Rick Franklin, everyone at Gurgel's MMA, Chris, Tommy, all the guys who help me. My manage Jeff. And Luke Jernigan at Intimidation Clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment