Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fadi Shuman Interview


I saw Fadi Shuman's first fight, a win over Eddie Dayok, and was very impressed. He fought like someone with much more experience, both in terms of skill and composure. As I wrote in my coverage of the event, Fadi was definitely a highlight that night. He will be stepping into the cage again on march 24th at NAAFS Combat Challenge 19. His original opponent was Travis Dougherty, but as you will read here, Travis had to pull out and he is waiting to hear his new opponent.

Q: Can you talk about how you got started in the sport?
A: I started MMA training at Mad Dog gym right after my high school wrestling season came to an end. I was always interested in the sport and wanted to continue doing something to stay active.

Q: How long did you train before your first fight?
A: Not long at all. I was only training at Mad Dog for about seven months at the time.

Q: Your first fight was a TKO win over Eddie Dayok. Overall, how satisfied were you with your performance?
A: I think there were a couple of things i could have done better, but overall I was satisfied with the win.

Q: I put in my write up that you were one of the highlights of that card. Was it important to you to really make a statement, or for your first fight would you have been satisfied just getting the win?
A: I wasn't just there to win. I wanted to make a statement and let people know I wasn't just another fighter making his debut. The whole fight the only thing on my mind was how was I going to finish the fight, I didn't want it to go to a decision.

Q: You have a fight coming up with Travis Dougherty. Is it hard to train to fight someone who is making there debut?
A: I was informed that Travis will no longer be my opponent for this fight. He was injured during his camp. I am still waiting for a new opponent. but fighting someone who is making their debut doesn't bother me. I train to fight and feel prepared no matter what.

Q: Do you know anything at all about Travis?
A: I've actually sparred with him once before in practice but i wont be fighting him.

Q: How has the camp been going for the fight?
A: Its been going great i feel alot better than i did before my debut. I'm really excited for this fight.

Q: Do you try and come up with a game plan, or just kind of see where the fight goes?
A: I don't like to over think it. I feel more comfortable just seeing where the fight goes.

Q: Would you say there is a key for you to winning this fight?
A: I'd say my mind set. I have a strong desire to win, I don't get too nervous, and I'm confident in my abilities no matter where the fight goes.

Q: You got a great team at Mad Dog, how does that help you as a fighter being at such a good gym?
A: I have Great training partners who help out alot and keep me working hard, also Mad Dog encourages cross training so I get to go to other gyms and get to work with a ton of different people.

Q: Do you have a prediction on how this fight ends?
A: I'm not sure anything can happen but i would like it to end with me finishing my opponent.

Q: Anyone you want to thank or mention?
A: Everyone at Mad Dog Gym, Flow Grappling, Team Impact, and all my friends and family who support me.

No comments:

Post a Comment