Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Lalani Malley Interview


Lalani Malley is fighting Jessica Eve Richer at Eve of Destruction on December 17th. Lalani has had several impressive wins in the NAAFS which explains her being the top ranked female. Lalani is a well rounded fighter. So much so that if you ask five different people what Lalani's strength is, you could get five different answers. With plans to turn pro soon, a title with the NAAFS could be a great way to lead into a pro career.

Q: How does it feel for you as a fighter to be the main event of all female show?
A: The main event? It's alright. Its like any other fight except I am the last person to go out and have more time to get cold.

Q: What do shows like this mean for Women's MMA? Is it a step in the right direction?
A: I'm actually not much for all women cards. I like uni-sex cards because I believe it gives us a 50/50 chance and helps us to see me talent and women talent. I don't like all men cards or all female cards, I like everything to be equal. S its not a big deal but does get people aware there is Women's MMA and that's a positive thing. It don't matter to me, I am only here to fight.

Q: It's for a title, so what would the title mean for you?
A: What does a title mean for me? Again, no big deal, it's just another fight. It would be nice to have it and so forth, but its just an accessory. It's great but just an accessory.

Q: You are fighting Jessica Eve Richer, who is known for her Jiu-Jitsu. If it goes to the ground you are confident you can hang with her correct?
A: I'm confident not only that I can hang with her, but I can submit her and control her.

Q: You are a step up in competition for her. Do you feel she is ready for someone of your caliber?
A: I don't feel I am that much higher than her. I definitely can see that her hands might not be there, but she is a hard worker. Possibly she will push me with my cardio. I am pretty sure she is just going to try and take control of the cage, but with my experience I don't think she can hang with me with hands or on the ground honestly. I just think I am a more well-rounded fighter than her. She does have better take downs than me, but everything else leans towards me being the better fighter. But that's just my opinion.

Q: Can you point to one think that is your biggest advantage I this fight?
A: My biggest advantage is that I am complete, I don't lack in anything, I am well-rounded. That's how I feel, that's how a lot of guys feel at the gym. A lot of females who come and train with me say I am better than some pro fighters because I might not be super great at anything but I am a complete fighter.

Q: In the past she has said she wants to show she has more than Jiu-Jitsu and can stand. That being said, if it's standing and you are getting the better of it, do you expect her to try and take it down?
A: Of course! I expect her to basically try and push the pace by doing a simple one-two, and when she gets right handed by me, she is gonna wanna shoot in. A lot of Jiu-Jitsu people do that. Their strategy basically is to push with the hands and as soon as I make a move they duck under and do a shot. Of course I want her to know that her saying she wants to prove she has hands is not true. It would be a way to distract me, but in reality she will do whats she does best which is Jiu-Jitsu.

Q: Do you have a prediction?
A: Honestly, since I haven't had any real proper training for this fight, I am pretty sure it will be a decision or a third round knock-out.

Q: When I talk to people about you, some say your strength is Jiu-Jitsu, some say striking. Is that a compliment in the sense that if different people say different things, it means you are well-rounded?
A: It definitely is a compliment. This is my opinion, I think I am a Jiu-Jitsu person, but as you noted, my hands have gotten me places, they finish fights. In my opinion, people under rate my ground game more than anything. I take it as a compliment. It's nice to see that the thing I think I am weakest at is what people think I am strongest at. I also think it's cool that what I think I am strongest at, people think I am weaker at. So I guess it's a compliment.

Q: You come up to Ohio to fight, and you have friends who fight here and a lot of the local fighters like you. Does that make it easier to travel and fight?
A: Definitely! I am always happy to drive up to Ohio, it takes me out of my element. I like to travel to fight. Sometimes I feel like Ohio is my home. A lot of people in Ohio have mentally supported me and told me I can do it. Even in states like Pennsylvania. They support me a lot more than my team sometimes I feel like, so I appreciate everyone of them. It's like a second home for me, and I thank them for being friends and fans.

Q: Assuming you win this, any idea what you want to do next?
A: I plan on going pro regardless of what happens. Whether I win or lose, this fight will show me what I need to improve on. I feel that I am getting to the point where I wanna show I have kicks, wrestling, better cardio. I really wanna fight in big promotions so I wanna go pro in January or February. Then I want to start looking for a new camp and progress in my skills and be my best as a fighter.

Q: Before we finish, anyone you want to thank or mention?
A: I want to thank Jason Adams.

Q: I love that guy.
A: He's hot and was my boyfriend for a couple months and really supports me.

Q: You know I am putting that in there right? HAHA
A: Yeah haha. I wanna thank my boxing coach Fred, my Jiu-Jitsu coach Mario, everyone that has helped me from the first day, I am not gonna say they all believed in e, but thank you for showing me this is what I want to do, even if I learned the hard way. Jesus Christ of course, my Grandfather, my brothers and all my friends. That's a lot of people. My sponsors Freedom Fighters and Diamond Thieves tattoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment