Friday, August 19, 2011

Clint Musser Interview


Clint Musser will have his second pro fight On August 27th against fellow wrestler George Comer, who is making his pro debut. Should be an interesting fight. Will it turn into a battle to see who has the better wrestling, or will their wrestling cancel each others out and the fight go a different way? Either way, on a loaded card, Clint Musser vs George Comer is the fight I am most looking forward to see, as the last two NAAFS Amateur Series 155 pound champions battle at NAAFS Rock N Rumble. Here is my interview with Clint about the upcoming fight.


Q: You wrestled at Penn State. What made you make the transition to MMA?
A: When it came down to it, I wanted to compete. I wanted to compete one more time before I got to old. There is no doubt wrestling is an awesome foundation to have if you do want to transition to MMA. MMA has always been appealing to me, I just wanted to do it in a way where I would be prepared properly. Surrounded by good striking coaches, learn the ground game and Jiu-Jitsu and everything. With Evolve I have been able to do that. I had a proper foundation to build my skills and transition to MMA.

Q: Outside of wrestling, was there an aspect of the sport you picked up quickest?
A: All the ground stuff comes pretty well because I am so familiar with being there. Jiu-Jitsu and wrestling are different in a lot of ways but they are also similar in a lot of ways as far as position and everything like that. So just transitioning from trying to pin a guy to trying to control him and then look for submissions and things along those lines was the easiest transition for me.

Q: Your last fight was your pro debut against Devin Miller. Overall were you satisfied with your first pro fight?
A: Yeah I feel pretty good about it. You never really know for sure how a fight will go, you get as prepared as possible and go out and perform, and I feel I performed well. I was happy with the camp, my preparation and the performance.

Q: Are pro rules more suited for you?
A: I don't know. I don't see the huge difference. A lot of people talk about the difference between amateur rules and pro rules, other than just a couple little things, I think they are pretty similar. If you have a set of skills and are gonna fight amateur you are gonna be able to transition and be successful as a pro. Obviously I like freeing up some things, its nice, but the other guy can do the same thing. I hear people talk about that like "I got a set of skills for Pro rules rather than amateur rules", to me its the same thing. You are getting in the cage and getting after it and you have a set of skills that will help you succeed or you don't.

Q: Next week you fight George Comer, what do you know about him?
A: I know George is a tough guy, no doubt about it, quality fighter. Obviously wrestling is his strength as well. He trains at a great school with Jason Dent at GriffonRawl and comes prepared to fight. I know that he is gonna come out and ready to get after it.

Q: Being the last two 155 pound amateur series winners, is this almost like a unification?
A: You know what, I think this fight is a natural transition for both of us. We are both pro this year coming off good amateur success. I think this is a good fight for both of us any way you look at it. Two guys that did well as amateurs and look to do well as pros. I think its great, I wanna fight the best out there and am sure he does as well.

Q: Is there anything you expect him to try and do?
A: You know, you never really know. I mean, I think probably he will try and do some wrestling, even though he is fighting another wrestler, you always wanna go to your strength. I am sure he is gonna try and implement some of his kickboxing. I am preparing for whatever may come. He has been training and hasn't fought in awhile and probably worked on some things and I will be ready for that to.

Q: Is there one thing you have to do to win?
A: Just out work him. Go harder, push harder, make it harder for him to be in there than he makes it for me to be in there.

Q: Does having had a pro fight give you any advantage?
A: I don't think so. He has been training with Jason Dent for awhile so he trains with guys who have fought on the pro level. I am sure all his preparation for the past several months has been along the lines of getting ready for a pro fight. Its a slight adjustment from amateur to pro, a couple more minutes in the round, probably not quite the pace, you got more time, but really I don't see a particular advantage for me, and am sure he will be prepared.

Q: Do you have a prediction on how it ends?
A: Well, you know what I am thinking. But I know it will be a good fight and Comer is gonna be ready to go. I expect to have to give it my all and if it goes three rounds, that's what I am ready to do, if something opens up and I get a chance to finish sooner than that, that's what I am gonna do. That's as much as a prediction you will get from me.

Q: You are at Evolve, which has a lot of talent. What are the benefits of having so many good fighters and trainers there?
A: Well obviously the skill level, helping you advance your skill level. Having quality training partners is a big deal to. Not everybody is out there trying to be an MMA fighter, so being able to have guys come together for the same purpose makes it nice. Having tough guys that are getting better along with you, in there to push you is great as well.

Q: One thing I like about Evolve, is whether there is one guy on the card or several, a lot of people from the gym show up to support him. Is that something you make a conscious effort to do?
A: Yeah absolutely. There is a great group of guys who train there. Not all fighters, alot just like to work out, they like the training and everything. Those guys get excited and like supporting us and we like the support. It builds up a team feeling.

Q: Anyone you want to thank or mention?
A: Sure. I would like to thank my gym Evolve. My sponsors Regina's Pizza, Vida Cell, Tribe-1, Accenture. I want to thank them for their support. They are a big reason I am able to do this in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment